A gallery of lawn mushrooms

By | 17/11/2013
Fly Agaric

This autumn (2013) has been a good year for lawn mushrooms, and I’ve seen a great many varieties on the lawns which I maintain.

In 99% of cases, there is no need to worry about mushrooms appearing on your lawn. They are a sign of a healthy soil. Mushrooms are the fruiting bodies of a fungus which live on organic matter in the soil. They are the factory which decomposes this organic matter into chemicals usable by plants. Without a fungus in the soil, many plants would not be able to survive.

Many fungus live exclusively in symbiosis with a host plant, such as a tree. Silver birch trees are a great example of this and if you have a silver birch in your garden, you will certainly get a lot of fungal fruiting bodies appearing in your lawn as a result.

For a more detailed look at lawn mushrooms have a look at my previous post, why do I have mushrooms growing in my lawn? But for now, enjoy these pictures of the fascinating mushrooms I have found on some of the lawns I maintain.

Lawn mushrooms gallery

For further reading about mushrooms have a look at:

Please note that I am NOT a fungus expert, so please don’t send me pictures or descriptions for classification, I just find them fascinating and like to photograph them. For information and professional advice, please use the above links or search for a group in your local area.

Kris Lord

3 thoughts on “A gallery of lawn mushrooms

  1. LORAINE KING

    I have Amanita Muscaria growing on my lawn. Is this a sign of poor soil. and what can I do to get rid of them.

    Reply
    1. Kris Lord Post author

      Hi Loraine, fly agaric’s (Amanita Muscaria) are not a sign of poor soil but they usually prefer woodland locations so you probably have some trees growing nearby. You won’t be able to get rid of them as the organism will be an integral part of your soil. The mushroom is just a fruiting body which appears when conditions are perfect for it. Either just leave them, or if you are concerned about pets of little ones (they are poisonous if eaten) just pick them with gloves and dispose of them safely.
      Thanks for reading.
      Kris

      Reply
  2. Kate

    Me and my daughter also love spotting mushrooms in our yard. But I never let her touch them. Might be poisonous.

    Reply

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.