With summer fading away, the nights drawing in, wetter, cooler weather moves over England. Grass moves into a different phase of growth than other times of the year. To help, you should provide the correct nutrients to feed it. During September and October, you should apply a fertiliser with reduced amounts of Nitrogen (N) and increased amounts of Phosphorus (P) and Potassium (K). This directs growth down towards the roots, rather upwards to the leaves, making the plant stronger and better prepared for the coming winter months.
The fourth regular of the season is usually a slow release fertiliser which gently feeds the grass roots. If a lawn regeneration treatment or aeration treatment is required, then treatment 4 is applied straight after. This is so your lawn gains the most benefit from it.
If necessary, I also spot-apply a full-spectrum liquid herbicide, just to tidy up any remaining weeds that may have germinated since the application of the summer treatment.
Information about Regular Treatment 4
Main benefits of the fourth lawn treatment
- Encourages root growth, giving a stronger grass plant.
- Improves the disease resistance of the grass.
- Help grass prepare for cooler winter temperatures.
- Keeps your lawn weed-free.
- The benefits of an autumn fertilisation will really show through in the following spring.
Disadvantages of the fourth lawn treatment
- A weed control may not be as effective if the temperatures are cooling.
- The main benefits of the autumn treatment is not really shown in the lawn until the lawn starts growing again in the spring.
Recommended time of year for application
Treatment 4 is applied in September or October. However, the exact time will depend on the local weather conditions and the date of the previous treatments.
Weather conditions needed for application
Treatment 4 can be applied in nearly all weather conditions, although care should be taken to remove leaves on the lawn before treating.
There is no preparation needed before the autumn treatment is applied. I recommend not applying the treatment within 3 days of mowing. If any autumn lawn regeneration work is scheduled, then the autumn treatment will usually be applied at the same time, as it will be most beneficial when applied straight after a Scarification or Aeration treatment.
None of the regular fertilisation and weed kill treatments produce any waste that the customer needs to dispose of.
If a spot-herbicide is applied with this treatment then I recommend staying off the lawn for a couple of hours. Until it is dry.
Additional recommended treatments
A seaweed biostimulant is also a great treatment to apply in the autumn. It keeps trace nutrients topped up and helps the lawn to bed in for the winter.
Lawn care articles about treatment 4
Here are the most recent blog posts which refer to the fourth treatment of the year:
- Question: Patchy lawn in colour and growth
- 4 tips to prepare your lawn for spring
- Why you should feed your lawn seaweed
- 7 tips for autumn lawn care
- Question: Timing of lawn treatments
- Top 5 ways to improve the look of your lawn
- How soil temperature affects grass growth
- Yellow club fungus (clavulinopsis helvola)
- Question: Fertilisation after scarifying?
- Question: Overseeding and feeding a lawn?